Visa / International Students

Student Route Visa Applications

If you need a visa to study in the UK we recommend that you familiarise yourself with the UKVI requirements as soon as possible.

You can find information and guidance on the UK Visas and Immigration website.

You may also find useful information on studying and living in the UK, including information on visas and immigration on the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website and the University of South Wales (USW) International Student Advice web pages.

Please note that in order to be granted a visa to study in the UK you need to prove that you have enough money to pay the tuition fees for the first year of your course plus £1023 per month living costs for at least 9 months of your course.  You cannot apply for a visa until three months prior to the start of your course (i.e. if your course starts in late September you cannot apply for your visa until late June).

You will need to submit your passport with supporting documentation to apply for visa, you must ensure you have a current passport. You must not travel to the UK until your visa has been approved.

Immigration Health Surcharge

Please note that an Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) is payable for all Student Visa applications. The fee is currently £470 per year of leave granted. This fee is compulsory and will be payable, in full, at the time of making your visa application. Further information can be found on the UK Government website.

If you have any questions about the visa application process please contact the Admissions Team ( or the IISA team at the University of South Wales: